DEPARTMENT OF PEDIATRICS
|Department of Pediatrics is a vibrant and active department. The department is involved in clinical work, contemporary research addressing the issues unique to the children of a developing country. Imparting education and training to the budding doctors using innovative techniques is a priority.
Each faculty member is pursuing a subspeciality interest besides doing General Pediatrics. To achieve this end they all attend regular CMEs and training sessions. All have had training at reputed institutions in India and abroad.
A wholesome and compassionate care by the department has made it extremely popular in the area and is a favoured referral centre for the pediatricians of the area. The NICU and PICU are equipped with state of art equipment to render the best contemporary services to sick children attending the hospital. To make the hospital experience less painful for children painting competitions, fun games etc are organized from time to time. Even in the hospital such needs of children are considered in a empathic manner.
To focus on the childhood diseases, their identification and comprehensive management, department conducts regular camps in the hospital and the field. Implementation of National Programmes are attended to as a responsibility. Immunization, nutrition, anaemia, ARI and diarrhea management is as per the national guidelines. IMNCI an important component of RCH II has been taken up in a big way. All faculty members are IMNCI trainers. The programme has been incorporated in the undergraduate curriculum. We have conducted workshops for training of faculty from other Medical Colleges.
The department has a well equipped library with books of all specialties and subspecialties. There are several paper and online journals that add to the knowledge of ever questing minds of the physicians in the department.
|GOALS AND OBJECTIVES :|
|The goal of teaching undergraduate students is to allow them to acquire adequate knowledge and appropriate skill for dealing optimally with the major health problems of children.|
|The objective of undergraduate teaching is that at the end of the course the student is able to
1. Describe the normal growth and development during foetal life, neonatal period, childhood and adolescence and outline any deviation.
2. Describe the common paediatric disorders and emergencies in terms of epidemiology etiopathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, rational therapy and rehabilitation.
3. State age related requirements of calories, nutrients, fluids, drugs etc. in health and disease.
4. Describe preventive strategies for common infectious disorders, malnutrition, genetic and metabolic disorders, poisonings, accidents and child abuse.
5. Outline national programmes relating to child health including immunization programmes.
|At the end of the course, the student is able to:
1. Take a detailed pediatric history, conduct an appropriate physical examination of children including neonates, make clinical diagnosis, conduct common bedside investigative procedures, interpret common laboratory investigation results and plan and institute therapy;
2. Take anthropometric measurements, resuscitate newborn infants at birth, prepare oral rehydration solution, perform tuberculin test, administer vaccines available under current national programmes, perform venesection, start an intravenous saline.
3. Conduct diagnostic procedures such as lumbar puncture, liver and kidney biopsy bone marrow aspiration pleural tap and ascetic tap
4. Distinguish between normal newborn babies and those requiring special care and institute early care to all new born babies including care of preterm and low birth weight babies provide correct guidance and counseling in breast feeding.
5. Provide ambulatory care to all sick children identify indications for specialized inpatient care and ensure timely referral of those who require hospitalization.
|The training in pediatric is such that it prepare the students to deliver preventive promotive curative and rehabilitative services for children for both in community and in the hospital as a team in integration with other disciplines as Anatomy, Surgery, Medicine, Gynecology , etc.|
© 2014 Subharti University , All rights reserved.